SEBI registered Investment advisor (RIA) with Registration number – INA 000000342.
PAN Card Online Application in 10 Easy Steps

These days, PAN Card is becoming an absolute necessary item in our day to day life. This is an ideal document, which you can carry as the identity proof. You require this, while travelling in train in higher classes, to book a room in a hotel, cash transaction above 50,000 in a bank or to invest in shares and what not.

Getting a PAN card is not a difficult task. Government has formulated a user friendly procedure for PAN card online application. Pancard online application is a simple process and it will not take more than 15 minutes.

For PAN Card online application, you can apply through UTI infrastructure Technologies & Services Limited ( or through National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL)

PAN Card Online Application

Step by step Process for Pan Card Online Application  

The steps mentioned below are for an Indian resident individual to submit Pancard online application through NSDL.

First log into the site

  1. Click on the option  “New PAN for Indian Citizens (Form 49A)’’
  2. You will reach a new window, where there will be 3 links. One is giving the Do’s and Don’ts in the application and the second one is giving the instructions on how to fill the pancard online application form. After reading these 2, you can click on the link “Online Application for New PAN (Form 49A)’’.
  3. In the next page again you can see a set of instructions to follow. Read them carefully and scroll down to the bottom of the page.
  4. There you can see “Apply for a new PAN Card’’. Here you have to select the category. If you are a resident individual, click on “Individual’’.
  5. Now you have reached the online application form – Form No-49(A). Please fill the form carefully, as per the instructions given.
  6. If you have any doubts, you may try the following link to get it clarified. You can see the instructions in English or in Hindi.
  7. If you have an Aadhar number, give that information also in the format. If Aadhar is not allotted you, you may ignore    those details.
  8. After filling up the form, you have to make payment of Rs. 96/- . You can make payment using cheque/DD favouring NSDL. Or you can make online payment using credit card/debit card or net banking.
  9. After making the payment, you will get an acknowledgement number. You have to take a print out of this page. Paste a recent passport size photo in it. You have to sign in the signature box in black ink. Keep a Xerox copy for your records.
  10. Now, you have to send this print out along with the copy of documents mentioned in the form to the address mentioned in the acknowledgement form. Please note that the form should reach them within 15 days of applying online.

Super scribe the envelope with APPLICATION FOR PAN – Acknowledgement Number – . . . . . . . and send to Income Tax PAN services Unit, National Securities Depository Limited,3rd Floor, Sapphire Chambers, Near Baner Telephone Exchange, Baner, Pune – 411 045.

Normally, you will get your PAN Card in 15 days. You can track the status of the PAN Card online by clicking the following link

Documents required for PAN Card Online Application

1.   Proof of identity: 

You have to submit a copy of any one of the following while submitting the PAN Card online application.

School-leaving certificate, degree certificate, credit card statement, bank account statement, passport, ration card, driving license, property tax assessment order, water bill, voter’s identity card, certificate of identification signed by a Member of Parliament or Legislative Assembly, Municipal Councillor or Gazetted Officer.

2.   Proof of address

You can submit any one of the following while submitting the PAN Card online application:

Bank account statement, passport, voter’s identity card, driving license, ration card, employer’s certificate, electricity or telephone bill, property tax assessment order, rent receipt or certificate of address signed by a Member of Parliament or Legislative Assembly, Municipal Councillor or Gazetted Officer.

Hope that you are clear about the PAN card online application process. If you have any queries regarding the PAN Card online application process, please mail us. 


  • Kapil Tiwari Posted March 26, 2013 12:07 am

    Hi Melvin,
    I have a PAN Card. But my present and permanent addresses have changed. Do I have to re-apply for a new PAN Card giving the new addresses? Of course, the PAN No. will remain the same.

    In this case, do I have to surrender the old PAN and apply for a new one (with the new addresses) or can I keep both, the old and new cards, since the PAN No. remains the same? Is it legal to have 2 or more PAN Cards, as long as the PAN Nos. are identical? Personally, I feel this should be allowed. Your advice? Thanks/Kapil

    • Melvin Joseph Posted March 30, 2013 9:45 am

      Yes, you will have 2 cards but with the same number.

  • george Posted April 3, 2013 5:37 pm

    i would like to change my name from george to jojy, and what should i do to get a pan card in the new name? As well what are all the procedure to change the name as it appears in the bank? will that new pan card would be enough or not? please tell me what is the procedure to change my name?

    • Melvin Joseph Posted April 5, 2013 5:35 pm

      For change of name, first you have to go for a gazette notification. After that you can apply PAN card in that name. Consult a local advocate for the necessary steps.

  • Manjula Posted April 4, 2013 11:55 am

    on behalf of my brother i applied Pan Card for my Brother & he had got Pan Card but his Date of Birth is not correct on the Pan Card. Please suggest. do he can apply New Pan Card with proper Idenfication prof he will get Pan Card or not.

    • Melvin Joseph Posted April 5, 2013 5:27 pm

      He can apply for a correction in the PAN Card, as mentioned the article. He has to submit the proof for the date of birth.

  • Kapil Tiwari Posted April 6, 2013 12:38 am

    For change in address, is there any online possibility, Melvin? Thanks

  • ajay Posted April 6, 2013 11:17 am

    nice article

  • BIKRAM MOHAPATRA Posted April 6, 2013 5:01 pm

    i am new apply pan card don’t sowing coupon number my coupan number is of recived 29.03.2013..
    pan service center code :-20rd606
    pan service center name :-jatni
    name :-bikram mohapatra
    father:-sashikanta mohapatra
    a/t:-retang colony (jatni)229-d dist:-khurda post:-jatni 752050
    mobile number :-8908253276
    please sir give me urgently pan card

    • Melvin Joseph Posted April 8, 2013 6:51 pm

      You have to contact NSDL office in Pune at 020.27218080 for the follow up for PAN. Since you have applied for it only on 29th March. You may wait for next 15 days and then do the follow up.

  • Melly Thomas Posted April 13, 2013 12:11 pm

    Good and useful information. Many thanks.

  • vijay victor adam Posted July 30, 2013 7:46 pm

    Thanks for the useful information sir!

  • Thasleem Posted August 4, 2013 5:44 pm

    Can my brother pay via NetBanking for my New PAN Application

    • Melvin Joseph Posted August 6, 2013 6:13 pm

      Yes, close relatives are allowed to use their card.

  • visalakshi Posted August 7, 2013 12:37 pm

    Sir, pls I want to get a PAN CARD IN THE NAME OF MY registered MOTHER SOCIAL WELFARE(MSW)TRUST through online..please share the information and documents and how to apply through online. your reply to my email will be highly appreciable..Thanks for this posting also

  • praveen Posted August 22, 2013 7:02 pm

    Hi Joseph

    I am from Delhi and my only photo id (passport) has delhi address. But now I stay in PG in mumbai for which I dont have an address proof.
    1) where should I apply? Delhi or Mumbai
    2) If I am unable to receive my pan card at my mumbai address, then can i go to UTI/NSDL office to collect it?

    • Melvin Joseph Posted August 24, 2013 10:35 am

      You can apply in Delhi only.

  • Lalit Posted August 31, 2013 11:13 am

    Thanks Dear Malvin. I frequently read your informative write-ups. They are super cool and serve the purpose for which they are written.

    My query:
    1. What documents will be required for applying for PAN card for our son who is a minor (16 yrs)? He doesn’t have bank account or ration card, etc… Only school i-card/certificate is there.
    2. What action would be needed when he turns major?

    Want to have his PAN as it would be a good photo identity for him, which will be needed for other purposed in coming years, like applying for passport, etc…


    • Melvin Joseph Posted September 21, 2013 4:11 pm

      The documents required are Address proof and ID Proof. You can give Ration Card which will take care. please see the link attached for more details.

      • Vineeth Posted November 18, 2014 2:04 pm

        That was a solid information Melvin..never thought that a minor too is eligible for a PAN card…let me check up with local guys about the documents required…I think he has school ID/Aadhaar/Ration cards (my dad as grahanathan) & yes the birth certificate…

        I am silently going thru all your articles…SIP to STP to SWP is one way and the other can be STP-SIP-SWP too…???

  • sindhu Posted September 27, 2013 12:14 pm

    sir,what is the place of verifier

  • ROMI Posted October 1, 2013 7:19 pm

    I have my school leaving certificate as proof of identity.Can i use my mother’s ration card as proof of address.Please tell me

    • Melvin Joseph Posted October 31, 2013 6:19 pm


  • savinder singh Posted October 9, 2013 2:41 pm

    hello sir,
    my query is i am a air force personal and my pan card is issued from chennai,now i want to change my IT CIRCLE from chennai to delhi,what i have to do for the same….

    • Melvin Joseph Posted October 31, 2013 6:15 pm

      You can apply through their website and submit the new address proof.

  • niladri das Posted October 15, 2013 12:55 am

    i applied for a pan card through uti website,after successful payment i got a coupon no & a reference no.Then i checked my pan card status in website ,it shows you have entered an invalid please sir kindly help me regarding this.

  • Veeraswamy Posted November 1, 2013 7:34 pm

    hello Sir,

    i want to apply for PAN Card online.But it’s asking AO Type ,AO code .Am from a village in Guntur District.For Guntur District it is showing many( 7) entries.How can i get the correct code for my village ?

  • SHER SINGH RAWAT Posted November 7, 2013 4:24 pm

    My Mother is living with me. I want to apply for pan card of my mother.
    Please guide me what should I sumbit for address proof of my mother

  • SHER SINGH RAWAT Posted November 7, 2013 4:26 pm

    My Mother is living with me. I want to apply for pan card of my mother.
    Please guide me what should I sumbit for address proof of my mother as I have not any proof in her name.

  • Napender Singh Posted January 10, 2014 11:55 pm

    Can i use Electricity bill on my Brother’s name as proof of address.

    • Melvin Joseph Posted January 17, 2014 1:54 pm

      I am afraid that you can use this.

  • chiru Posted February 28, 2014 11:43 pm

    Can i submit my ‘driving licence’ as proof for both ‘Proof of address’ and ‘Proof of identity’ ?

  • vignesh Posted March 25, 2014 8:46 am

    sir, I need explanation in filling up name in pan card application for tamilnadu the case is father name as sivan and the son name is ganesan.

    last name/surname
    first name
    middle name

  • giri Posted May 1, 2014 9:20 pm

    If the name is S.Balaraman, what will be the format for filling in first name and last name?……What will be the display name?

  • Ash Posted August 1, 2014 10:57 am

    I want to change my wife surname in her Pan Card but i haven’t marriage certificate.What can I do??

  • maryam Posted September 7, 2014 11:08 pm

    i want to correct my fathers name on my pan kindly tell me what is the procedure.

  • Kausar shaikh Posted October 24, 2014 11:42 am

    i m having pan number but i m looking for pancard on an urgent basis

  • Dr.A.S.Verma Posted November 16, 2014 2:47 pm

    I applied online and got my minor daughter’s PAN card two years back.Then I saw that it carried her name but my signature and Indian Republic’s monogram in place of her photo.
    She has turned major recently.Now how she should apply for a normal card.? In the “change/correction form” which box to tick? I see no specific box for this purpose. And if no box is ticked,I am afraid,they will issue the same card again. There is no specific information on this point in any of the official guidelines,instructions etc. I have already submitted the required documents in the name of both of us separately viz. my passport, her passport as well as her X certificate.

  • jitendra kumar maurya Posted February 11, 2016 7:21 pm

    I applyed online pan card .but no resalt.

  • Pranali Posted June 14, 2017 1:31 pm

    Hello Melvin, I am Pranali, As in India PAN Card is going the important document, thus i am looking to apply for PAN card by Submitting PAN Card Application and here is simple steps, Thanks

Add Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *